Jen Hofmann has been compiling a thorough, well researched weekly call to action newsletter since the election. If you have not already done so, I highly recommend you subscribe to it. This week, she is keeping it simple and providing tools to get organized for interacting with your representatives.
Her suggestions for gearing up for the midterm elections in 2018:
- Print out this worksheet
- Put your representative’s name, local phone, DC phone, address, and email on the worksheet or your phone. Get them here.
- Put your two senators’ names, local phones, DC phones, addresses, and email addresses there too. Get them here.
- Get a pile of postcards (or sheets of 110lb cardstock to make your own) and 34-cent postcard stamps. Snail mail is the new response to full voice mailboxes.
- Decide on your “Top Three” most-important issues. Focusing on just a few issues will prevent overwhelm. Consider choosing at least one issue that doesn’t affect you personally.
- Have a conversation with yourself and/or beloved others about how you want to give time and/or treasure to your Top Three.
- Set aside time each week to be active. 20-60 minutes is a good range. Add this to your calendar. You might consider doing your actions with others for support and community.
Action items 5-7 are really important. There are so many calls to action showing up on social media every day. You have to decide which issues are most important to you in order to be effective.
I love her suggestion of selecting one cause that does not impact you directly. Only working for causes that affect you is the ultimate privilege. Step outside of your world and see what kind of broader impact you can have.