With Congress heading back to session next week, we want to bring the discussion back to healthcare. When Congress reconvenes in September, one issue of particular importance to children’s health here in NC and throughout the US is the much-needed reauthorization of the Child Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
CHIP is a federal-state partnership program that provides health coverage options for children whose families earn too much to qualify for Medicaid but too little to afford marketplace or other coverage.
- Current Federal Funding for CHIP Ends September 30, 2017
- Nearly 80,000 Children are on CHIP in NC (NC Health Choice)
- Has Bi-Partisan Support in DC
- Crucial that State Funding is Re-Authorized
What You Can Do To Help
- Join the NC Coalition to Protect Child and Family Health, a collaboration among several groups and individuals across the state committed to maintaining and increasing children’s access to health insurance here in North Carolina. The coalition will coordinate and lead advocacy efforts to protect these core health insurance coverage policies and programs.
- Get up to speed on key challenges facing CHIP and the potential reauthorization battle in Congress: https://www.statnews.com/2017/07/28/chip-medicaid-congress/
- Share these graphics on social media from FamiliesUSA to show your support for renewing CHIP. Don’t forget to tag your congressman and Senators Tillis and Burr. http://familiesusa.org/initiatives/childrens-health-insurance-program