After losing their supermajorities in the House and Senate on Election Day, Republican lawmakers are holding a “lame duck” session on November 27, the week after Thanksgiving, to pass a voter ID law while Republicans still have their veto-proof majority. This is undemocratic and goes against the NCGOP’s entire reasoning for putting voter ID on the ballot in the first place.
The people have spoken. The outgoing Republican supermajority should listen to them by letting the newly-elected legislature take up enabling legislation for voter ID in January, instead of ramming it through during a lame duck session.
Join NC NAACP, Democracy NC, NCVCE, and Progess NC as we assemble outside the legislature for a day of action to demand that this lame duck, illegally elected legislature pass only hurricane hrecovery funds and then go home.
Schedule of Events:
– 10:45am – People Assemble on the Bicentennial Mall
– 11am – Press conference
– 11:20am – March into legislature two by two; march up to galleries.
– 12pm to 1pm – Silent Protest in the atrium
– 1pm – lunch break
– -2pm – Support Just Florence Recovery partners at tent city
– 3pm-5pm – possible evening protests
Join our mailing list to receive the latest updates, news, tool kits, and action items from our team.